Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver reimburses You for damages caused by theft or collision -- up to the Actual Cash Value of most rented cars. Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver covers no other type of loss. For example, in the event of a collision involving Your rented vehicle, damage to any other driver’s car or the injury of anyone or anything is not covered. Rental periods of thirty-one (31) consecutive days are covered. (Longer rental periods, however, are not covered.)
You are eligible if Your name is embossed on an eligible card issued in the United States or if You are authorized by Your company to rent an eligible vehicle using the company’s eligible Account, as long the rental is purchased entirely with the Account. Only You, as the primary renter of the vehicle, and any additional drivers permitted by the Rental Car Agreement are covered.
How Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver works with other insurance
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver covers theft, damage, valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the auto rental company, administrative fees and reasonable and customary towing charges, due to a covered theft or damage to the nearest qualified repair facility.
If the Rental Vehicle is for commercial and/or business purposes, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit acts as primary coverage, and You may be reimbursed for up to the actual cash value of the vehicle.
If the Rental Vehicle is for personal reasons, this benefit is secondary coverage, supplemental to Your personal automobile insurance, meaning You may only be reimbursed for the amount of Your personal insurance deductible or other charges, including valid administrative and loss-of-use charges not covered under Your personal insurance policy. If You are renting outside Your country of residence, or if You do not have automobile insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver acts as primary coverage.
How to use Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Use Your card to initiate and complete Your entire car rental transaction.
- Review the auto rental agreement and decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver (CDW/LDW) option, or a similar provision, as accepting this coverage will cancel out Your benefit. If the rental company insists that You purchase their insurance or collision damage waiver, call the Benefit Administrator for assistance at 1-800-348-8472. Outside the United States, call one of our toll free numbers.
Before You leave the lot, be sure to check the car for any prior damage.
This benefit is in effect during the time the rental car is in Your (or an authorized driver’s) control, and it terminates when the rental company reassumes control of their vehicle.
This benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries (with the exception of Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland). However, this benefit is not available where precluded by law, or where it’s in violation of the territory terms of the auto rental agreement, or when prohibited by individual merchants. Because regulations vary outside the United States, check with Your auto rental company and the Benefit Administrator before You travel, to be sure that Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver will apply.
Vehicles not covered
Certain vehicles are not covered by this benefit, they consist of expensive, exotic, and antique cars; cargo vans; certain vans; vehicles with an open cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles; mopeds; motorbikes; limousines; and recreational vehicles.
Examples of expensive or exotic cars are the Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Bentley, Corvette, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Maybach, McLaren, Porsche, Rolls Royce, and Tesla. However, selected models of Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, Infiniti, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, and Range Rover are covered.
An antique car is defined as one that is over twenty (20) years old, or one that has not been manufactured for ten (10) years or more.
Vans are not covered. But those designed as small-group transportation vehicles (seating up to nine  people, including the driver) are covered.
If You have questions about a specific vehicle’s coverage or organization where the vehicle is being reserved, call the Benefit Administrator at 1-800-348-8472 or if you are outside the United States call one of our toll free numbers.
Related instances and losses not covered
- Any obligation You assume under any agreement (other than the deductible on Your personal auto policy)
- Any violation of the auto rental agreement or this benefit
- Injury of anyone, or damage to anything, inside or outside the Rental Vehicle
- Loss or theft of personal belongings
- Personal liability
- Expenses assumed, waived, or paid by the auto rental company, or its insurer
- The cost of any insurance, or collision damage waiver, offered by or purchased through the auto rental company
- Depreciation of the Rental Vehicle caused by the incident including, but not limited to, “diminished value”
- Expenses reimbursable by Your insurer, employer, or employer’s insurance
- Theft or damage due to intentional acts, or due to the driver(s) being under the influence of alcohol, intoxicants, or drugs, or due to contraband, or illegal activities
- Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, or mechanical breakdown
- Items not installed by the original manufacturer
- Damage due to off-road operation of the Rental Vehicle
- Theft or damage due to hostility of any kind (including, but not limited to, war, invasion, rebellion, insurrection, or terrorist activities)
- Confiscation by authorities
- Vehicles that do not meet the definition of covered vehicles
- Rental periods that either exceed, or are intended to exceed thirty-one (31) consecutive days
- Leases and mini leases
- Theft or damage as a result of the authorized driver’s and/or cardholder’s lack of reasonable care in protecting the Rental Vehicle before and/or after the damage or theft occurs (for example, leaving the car running and unattended)
- Theft or damage reported more than forty-five (45) days* after the date of the incident
- Theft or damage for which a claim form has not been received within ninety (90) days* from the date of the incident
- Theft or damage for which all required documentation has not been received within three hundred and sixty-five (365) days after the date of the incident
- Theft or damage from rental transactions that originated in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland
*Not applicable to residents in certain states