The facts about government payments
$ 137 B
Amount of money government agencies disbursed through prepaid cards in 20181
$ 1 T
Amount of Social Security payments Americans will receive in 20192
Eliminate checks. Increase efficiency and access
Minimize distribution costs
Prepaid cards are a convenient alternative to issuing checks or paper-based payments and have the potential to save government agencies millions in payment processing expenses
Lower potential for fraud
With electronic distribution, the funds get deposited in recipient’s prepaid account.
Recipients don’t need a bank account
No prior banking relationship is needed. Funds are available on the card.
Easy access to funds
No waiting to get a check cashed. Visa Prepaid cards are accepted everywhere Visa Debit cards are accepted.*†
Visa’s Zero Liability policy protects cardholders from fraudulent or unauthorized transactions.‡
Free financial education
Cardholders can access a free financial literacy program provided by Visa.
One Visa card. Many uses
- Child support
- Unemployment insurance benefits
- Personal income tax refunds
- Housing authority payments
- Temporary family assistance
- Emergency disaster relief
- Workers’ compensation
- Adoption and foster care
- Federal benefit payments
Case Study: District of Columbia is making a difference in people’s lives with Visa Prepaid cards
Fact sheet: Learn more about how prepaid cards can help mitigate fraud
Deliver benefits more efficiently
- 1 Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. Sept 2019. “Report to the Congress on Government-Administered, General-Use Prepaid Cards - September 2019." https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/2019-september-prepaid-card.html
- 2 Social Security Administration. 2019. “Fact Sheet - Social Security.” https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/factsheets/basicfact-alt.pdf
* Certain ATM fees could apply depending on program requirements.
† As of December 31, 2018. Reported by Visa/PLUS ATM acceptance locations, sourced from Visa Operating Certificates and therefore may be subject to change.
‡ Visa’s Zero Liability policy does not apply to certain commercial card and anonymous prepaid card transactions or transactions not processed by Visa.