Company Executives to Keynote and Participate in Panel Discussions
LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 12, 2009-- Visa Europe and Visa Inc. (NYSE: V), the world's largest retail electronic payments network1, will be showcasing the latest innovations in payments at the 2009 GSMA Mobile World Congress. In addition, Visa executives will discuss how Visa is helping to drive the convergence of financial services and mobile technology.
Visa will use real life examples to demonstrate how its innovations in mobile payment technologies can enhance consumers’ daily lives, providing speed, convenience, security and choice.
Visa mobile product demonstrations will include:
- Visa Mobile on Android: In December, Visa launched the first commercial service in the U.S. that provides mobile offers, transaction alerts and a locator service. Visa Mobile is available on mobile devices powered by Android, including the T-Mobile G1™ phone.
- Mobile Visa payWave: Secure mobile point of sale payments using Visa payWave embedded in a mobile device. Visa will demonstrate both NFC-based and SIM-based contactless payments.
- Mobile Money Transfer: A demonstration of handset-to-handset and online-to-handset money transfer.
- Mobile Transaction Alerts: Near real-time notification of card purchase activity delivered to the mobile device.
- Mobile Offers: Targeted offers and coupons delivered directly to the mobile device and redeemed at near-by merchants.
- Mobile Merchant: Convenient cashless transactions on the move. Mobile merchants, such as a pizza delivery service, can accept Visa payments with the help of enhanced mobile handsets that double as a mobile acceptance device.
- Smart Poster: Co-branded mobile posters, signposting nearby coffee shops with the offer of exclusive mobile ‘buy one, get one free’ offers.
The Congress is the key global conference and exhibition for the mobile industry and is sponsored by the GSM Association (GSMA). It attracts more than 1,200 exhibitors, and more than 50,000 visitors including key Visa clients and vendors from around the world.
Visa executive speakers at the Mobile World Congress 2009 include:
- Kelly Alpert, Head of Money Transfer Initiative, Visa Inc.
Mobile Money Transfer Seminar
Monday 16th February, 11:00-12:00
- Mary Carol Harris, Head of Mobile, Visa Europe
Monday 16th February, 16:00-16:15
- Guido Mangiagalli, VP, Visa payWave and Mobile, Visa Europe
“Mobile Money Forum” (panel discussion)
Tuesday 17th February, 09:00-13:00
- Pam Zuercher, Senior Business Leader, Product Innovation, Visa Inc.
- “Mobile Innovation: Mobile Financial Services” (panel discussion)
Tuesday 17th February, 15:45-16:25
- “Mobile Money Stream: Visa Expert Keynote”
Wednesday 18th February, 14:20 – 14:40
- “Phone to Wallets, the Mobile Money Opportunity” (panel discussion)
Wednesday 18th February, 17:15-17:45
For more information about Visa’s mobile strategy and product demonstrations, or to arrange a briefing with Visa prior to or at the Mobile World Congress 2009 event, please contact:
About Visa Inc.:
Visa Inc. operates the world's largest retail electronic payments network providing processing services and payment product platforms. This includes consumer credit, debit, prepaid and commercial payments, which are offered under the Visa, Visa Electron, Interlink and PLUS brands. Visa enjoys unsurpassed acceptance around the world, and Visa/PLUS is one of the world's largest global ATM networks, offering cash access in local currency in more than 170 countries. For more information, visit www.corporate.visa.com
About Visa Europe
In Europe, there are over 360 million Visa debit, credit and commercial cards. In the 12 months ending June 2008 those cards were used to make purchases and cash withdrawals to the value of over €1.3 trillion. 11.4% of consumer spending at point of sale in Europe is with a Visa card.
Visa Europe is owned and operated by its 4,600 European member banks and was incorporated in July 2004. In October 2007, Visa Europe became independent of the new global Visa Inc., with an exclusive, irrevocable and perpetual license in Europe. Please visit www.visaeurope.com for more information about Visa Europe.
1 Based on payments volume, total volume, number of transactions and number of cards in circulation.
Source: Visa Inc.
Lorraine Pitt, +44 (0) 20 7795 5291
Elvira Swanson, +1 415-932-2564
Hill & Knowlton
Richard George, +44 (0) 20 7413 3410