More Leading Merchants Choose Visa Checkout to Increase Online and Mobile Sales
comScore study finds that enrolled Visa Checkout shoppers convert to buyers at a rate of 86 percent
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160112005657/en/
“Delivering a seamless payment experience for our customers is a priority for us,” said
Visa Checkout’s rollout has been among the fastest and most successful Visa consumer product launches in company history, as merchants and their customers seek easier, more convenient ways to pay with their cards in an increasingly digital world. More than 10 million consumer accounts and 600 financial institutions in 16 countries/regions have signed up to use Visa Checkout since its launch 18 months ago.
Improved Consumer Experience, Increased Customer Sales
According to new research from comScore 2, Visa Checkout is more effective than other checkout options at driving conversion, which means that shoppers who start a checkout process are more likely to complete it, when using Visa Checkout. Checkout abandonment rates have been an ongoing challenge for merchants trying to increase sales in digital channels, particularly on smaller screens of mobile phones.
The comScore survey, which was completed in
- Completed 86 percent of transactions from the online shopping cart2
- Have a 51 percent higher conversion rate when compared to customers using a merchant’s traditional online checkout2
“We are seeing tremendous Visa Checkout growth as we enter 2016 and are greatly encouraged by the enthusiastic response from consumers and merchants alike,” said
More Shoppers Go Mobile
During the 2015 holiday season, more customers than ever visited merchants’ websites, especially when using a mobile device.
The latest numbers from Visa3 reinforce these experiences:
- Visa Checkout customers are increasingly making purchases with mobile devices.
- Nearly half (45 percent) of Visa Checkout shoppers used a smartphone, tablet, or other mobile device in making an online purchase during the 2015 holiday period.4 Just six months ago, it was closer to one-third.
- Between July and November, the share of Visa Checkout customers using a mobile device grew by 10 percent.
- Visa Checkout merchants are reaching new customers and growing their sales.
- More than 46 percent of customers who took advantage of a Visa Checkout promotion were new to that retailer, according to a survey completed by six Visa Checkout merchants.5
- comScore data also showed a 7 percent higher transaction size for Visa Checkout orders, compared to non-Visa Checkout orders at many of the leading retail and travel sites.6
A Visa Card for the Digital World
As consumers make more purchases using smartphones, tablets and other connected devices, merchants increasingly see the need for a digital payment experience that is easy and convenient for consumers and simple to integrate into their existing systems.
Visa Checkout delivers on both fronts. When shopping online, consumers simply log in, then click a button to complete their purchase. There’s no need to re-enter payment and billing information, which makes the experience faster and easier, especially on mobile devices.
Visa Checkout merchants represent some of the biggest retailers on the internet, including
1 eMarketer 2015
2 comScore 2015 Visa Checkout Study, commissioned by Visa. Based on data from the comScore research panel of one million U.S. PC/laptop users, April-
3 Proprietary Visa data that measures consumer activity in the Visa Checkout lightbox.
4 Data reporting period from
5 Data captured during relevant promotion periods for each merchant
6 comScore 2015 Visa Checkout Study, commissioned by Visa. Based on data from the comScore research panel of one million U.S. PC/laptop users, August-