On this page
- How does Visa TravelMoney work?
- How do I know the balance on my Visa TravelMoney card?
- What if my card is lost or stolen?
- How do I use Visa TravelMoney at an ATM?
- Can I use my card to get gasoline or rent a car?
- Can I use my card to make reservations at a hotel?
- Can I pay for meals with my Visa TravelMoney card?
- How do I buy something that costs more than the amount available on my card?
- What if I need to return an item I purchased?
How does Visa TravelMoney work?
The Visa TravelMoney card is prepaid, meaning you can spend up to the card value anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including stores, online, over the phone, and via mail. You can also get cash at Visa/PLUS ATMs worldwide. Each time you make a purchase, the purchase amount is automatically deducted from the card.
How do I know the balance on my Visa TravelMoney card?
- You can check at your financial institution's Web site or by calling the number listed on the back of the card.
- Since a merchant may not be able to tell how much money is on the card, keeping track of your balance is a sure way to know how much you have to spend.
What if my card is lost or stolen?
Call your financial institution right away. They will need your card number to cancel your card and issue a new one, so make sure you've kept the card information in a secure place that is separate from the card.
How do I use Visa TravelMoney at an ATM?
To get cash at a Visa/PLUS ATM you should first follow any on-screen directions. If asked which account to access, try selecting CHECKING. If that does not work, use CREDIT.
Can I use my card to get gasoline or rent a car?
- When you pay at the pump, some stations check to see if you have funds to pay for a full tank (up to $75). If your card is declined even though you still have funds, tell the attendant how much gas you intend to buy and sign the receipt for that amount.
- Some rental car companies may require that you use a credit card to make a reservation, however your TravelMoney card is always welcome for final payment.
Can I use my card to make reservations at a hotel?
- Yes, but hotels will verify that your card has sufficient funds to pay an estimated bill for your stay. That amount will be held in your account, making it unavailable for other purchases. When you check out, the hold will be removed and the actual bill amount will be deducted.
- You can avoid having funds held by using a Visa credit card at check-in. Your TravelMoney card is always welcome for final payment.
Can I pay for meals with my Visa TravelMoney card?
- Yes, but be aware that some restaurants will verify that your card has enough funds to cover the purchase plus a 15-20 percent tip, or they'll decline the transaction.
- Only the amount you sign for will be deducted, so you can leave a tip with your card or in cash.
How do I buy something that costs more than the amount available on my card?
You can use a second payment method such as cash, check, or credit for the difference. Let the cashier know how much you will pay with each type of payment before you make your purchase.
What if I need to return an item I purchased?
- Keep your Visa TravelMoney card even after you have used the funds on it. This way you will have it in case you need to make a return.
- Contact the merchant and follow the merchants return procedures. The value of the merchandise will be available on your card in three to seven days after the return.
- If you want to make a purchase but don't have enough money on your card, many merchants will allow you to make a partial payment.