Visa Buxx means freedom for your teens, peace of mind for you
Visa Buxx is a reloadable prepaid card designed especially for teens. They get the freedom to make purchases—online, in stores, and anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted—while you get the reassurance that comes from setting boundaries around how much they are allowed to spend.
Convenience meets control
- Your teen only spends what’s on the card. The purchase amount is deducted from the balance. If they spend over the balance, the transaction will be declined.
You can add funds anytime — online, over the phone, or with convenient automatic transfers from your checking or credit card account. That means fewer trips to the ATM and a quick way to get money to your teen in an emergency.
(Fees may apply. Learn more › )
- Visa Buxx can be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, online and in stores, worldwide.
Easy to use
Parents: load funds onto the card
Load money onto Visa Buxx online or by phone.
Teens: use their Visa Buxx
Shop online or in stores – anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
Parents and teens: track spending, and reload
Track purchases, check the account balance, and reload the card online.
Teens will love Visa Buxx because:
- It gives them freedom to shop online, in stores, and anywhere else Visa debit cards are accepted – worldwide. It’s even more convenient than cash.
- It’s safe. If the card is lost or stolen, just call your card issuer and Visa will send you a new card with the remaining balance transferred over.
You’ll love Visa Buxx because:
You can add funds anytime
– online, over the phone, or with convenient automatic transfers from your checking or credit card account.
(Fees may apply. Learn more › )
- It’s easy to manage and track. You and your teen can view card transactions and check the card balance easily online.
- It boosts financial responsibility. Visa Buxx teaches teens budgeting skills for managing their money today and in the future.
Teach your teen to be smart with money.
Visa Buxx is a great way to help teens learn budgeting skills and manage their spending. Here are some other basics you can teach them for being smart with their money.
You and your teen can track and analyze spending, and receive budget alerts, with the Visa student budgeting tool. Take a look ›
Budgeting & saving
Sticking to a budget and a regular savings plan is one of the keys to financial success. Take your teen through these budgeting and saving basics and you’ll set them up for a healthy financial future.
Set a goal
Is there something special you want to buy? A trip you want to take? Do you need to save for college? The first step to managing your money is to set a financial goal. Remember to make your goal specific and realistic, and to set a timeframe. For example, “I want to save $500 in one year to buy a new TV.”
Watch what you spend
The next step is to work out where you’re spending your money. Start by keeping a record of everything you spend for a month. Save your receipts and write down your purchases. Then take a good look at where your money is going. You’ll soon see areas where you could cut back, be smarter, and save.
Know where you stand
Know exactly how much money you have coming in and how much money needs to go out. Money coming in could include your allowance, money from an after school job, or a birthday gift. Money going out could include buying clothes, school expenses, or going to the movies. Once you know these things, you can work out how much you have to spare – and to save.
Create a budget and savings plan
Now that you know what your goal is, and how much you have going in and out, it’s time to set a budget and savings plan. Work out how much you can comfortably save each week or month while still covering your regular expenses. Next, set a realistic amount of time to achieve your goal. Stick to your budget, put your savings in the bank, and watch your money grow!
Make saving a habit
It’s much better to save something, even a small amount, every month than to save nothing at all. Start saving today and you’ll have more freedom to do the things you want to in the future. A healthy savings account will also give you the security of knowing you can handle unexpected expenses if they arise.
- Set a goal
Whether shopping in-store or buying online, here’s what teens need to know to be smart with their spending.
Ways to pay
Smart spenders know the best ways to pay. Here are the options you have to choose from:
- Cash – Cash is accepted almost everywhere, but not online. Cash is a good way to pay if you want to stick to a budget – once you’ve used what you have to spend, you can’t spend any more.
- Checks – Checks are useful for larger purchases if you don’t want to carry a lot of cash. You need to have enough money in the bank to cover the amount you write on the check.
- Credit card – Credit cards allow you to buy now and pay later. Your credit card has a limit amount you can spend up to. Usually you will be charged interest on the balance of your credit card, which adds to the amount you need to pay back. Learn more about Visa credit cards ›
- Debit card – A debit card lets you pay by card but draws the funds directly from your bank account. This means you can only spend as much as you have in your account – which can be good for sticking to a budget. A debit card is a great way to pay online.
- Prepaid card – A prepaid card is another form of debit card. Here, the funds are drawn from the amount you have pre-loaded onto the card. You can load funds directly onto the card with cash, from your bank account, or through a direct deposit of your wages, tax refund or similar. You can also add money to your card anywhere you see a Visa ReadyLink logo, found at many retail locations.
- Stored value cards – These cards have a set amount of money on them that can be used at a particular store or chain of stores. A gift card is an example of a stored value card.
Good credit – it’s important
A good credit rating isn’t just nice to have; it’s an important part of adult life. Your credit rating effects whether you can get a credit card, buy a car, get a loan, or rent an apartment. As a teenager you can pave the way towards good credit by adopting the right habits now.
- Start a regular savings plan.
- Always pay your bills on time.
- Use credit wisely. Don’t spend up to the limit on your credit cards, and always pay at least the minimum amount each month.
- Plan ahead for big expenses so you don’t get into trouble down the track.
Answers to frequently asked questions
About the Visa Buxx card
What is a Visa Buxx card?
- Visa Buxx is a prepaid, reloadable Visa card created especially for teens. Visa Buxx makes it easy for parents to teach teens how to create a budget, manage money, and shop wisely. The card can be used everywhere that accepts Visa debit cards—that’s millions of locations worldwide. Parents enroll their teen in the program and can also monitor their teen’s spending; parents set the spending limits by the prepaid amount loaded on the card.
What is the difference between a prepaid card, a debit card, and a credit card?
- The prepaid Visa Buxx card looks similar to a Visa credit card; both have the Visa trademark and hologram. And merchants accept it just like any other Visa debit card. But Visa Buxx cardholders don’t have a credit line; teens are allowed access only to the prepaid amount of money that’s on the card. And just as with a debit card, the money is automatically deducted from the account.
Visa Buxx benefits
What are the benefits of a Visa Buxx card?
The Visa Buxx prepaid card helps put an end to last-minute ATM trips and constant requests for money. With easy loading options—online, telephone, and automatic—combined with parental controls like spending limits, the Visa Buxx card makes it easy for you to provide your teen with spending money while teaching them financial responsibility.
Visa Buxx enables you to monitor spending, and it’s safer than cash, because Visa protects you and your teen if the card is ever lost or stolen. Also, it gives your teen the freedom to use it everywhere that accepts Visa debit cards. Visa Buxx is perfect for schoolbooks, supplies, music, food, and travel, and it’s great for peace of mind in case of emergencies.
Why is the Visa Buxx card safer than carrying cash?
When cash is lost, it’s gone forever. But if a Visa Buxx card or card number is ever lost or stolen, you’re protected with Visa’s Zero Liability policy*. Your teen’s card will be replaced and the balance will be transferred to the new card. The replacement card usually arrives in five to ten business days. Financial institutions that offer Visa Buxx may have their own guidelines on how they fulfill the replacement card. Be sure to check your terms and conditions when you apply.
*Visa’s Zero Liability policy covers U.S.–issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify issuer promptly of any unauthorized use. Consult issuer for additional details or click here.
How does automatic loading make budgeting easier for parents?
- Automatic loading is a convenient way to set up allowances or budget how much money is given to a teen. Every week, once a month, or whenever deemed most appropriate, a pre-selected amount can be transferred from your credit card, debit card, or checking account to your teen’s Visa Buxx card. It’s quick and easy, and helps take the stress out of giving teens cash. Please note that when loading from your checking account, the transfer may take five to seven days. Contact your financial institution to set this up. Make sure you confirm completion of transfer before your teen tries to use the funds.
How does Visa Buxx help teens with budgeting?
- Visa Buxx supplies teens with an account history, so they can keep track of purchases, get a card balance, and find important financial information and tips. Teens can access their account history at the financial institution’s Visa Buxx website.
Can parents set spending limits?
- Yes, you determine how much money gets loaded on the card, as well as when and how the card is loaded. You also can log on to the financial institution’s Visa Buxx website to review your teen’s spending and suspend the account at any time, for any reason. In this way, the Visa Buxx card offers teens financial independence within safe, comfortable, and structured limits.
How can parents guide their teens to the most appropriate places to shop, especially online?
- You can review your teen’s account anytime to see how much they are spending and where they are spending it. And you can discuss with their teens how and where the card can be used. Together, you can agree on the best places to shop. But even more important is talking to your teen about money and what you expect from them.
How can Visa Buxx help teens be financially responsible?
- Using a Visa Buxx card is a first step—and a big responsibility—for your teen. When you sign up your teen for their Visa Buxx card, encourage them to review the educational information that is included with each card. Going over the materials together will help to prepare your teen for the real world of managing a budget and using a Visa Buxx card.
Why is Visa Buxx a great way for family and friends to give gifts?
- You can authorize family members or friends to put gift money on the Visa Buxx card. It’s faster and safer than mailing a check or giving cash, and it enables the teen to get what they want. After you’ve completed the initial sign up with your financial institution, a gift-giver is automatically provided with instructions on how to go to the financial institution’s Visa Buxx website and add a gift to the Visa Buxx card.
Using the Visa Buxx card
How does the Visa Buxx card work?
- The Visa Buxx card is a prepaid card, so spending limits are set by the amount of money parents load onto the card. When a teen makes a purchase with the Visa Buxx card, the purchase amount is deducted from the card balance. When the card balance is low, parents can add money to, or “reload” the card from their credit card, debit card, or checking account. (Note: Transferring money using a checking account can take five to seven days.) Parents can even schedule automatic loading to provide an allowance on a regular basis. It’s a perfect tool for parents and teens to talk about budgeting, spending, and financial responsibility.
Who can use the card?
- Only the teen whose name appears on the card can use the card.
How do parents add money to the card?
- Adding money to the Visa Buxx card is the quick and easy way to make sure your teen has money for everyday uses, travel, and emergencies. Just log on to the financial institution’s Visa Buxx website or call the 800 number on the back of the card anytime, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Remember to verify transfer of funds before your teen uses the card.
Why is it so important to always know the balance on the card?
- Merchants cannot tell how much money is on the card until your teen tries to make a purchase. Any attempt to make a purchase that is for an amount greater than the cardholder’s available balance will be declined. While this does not happen very often, it is important for the cardholder to keep track of their available balance to help avoid this situation. To make a purchase greater than the balance on the card, your teen can use a second payment method (cash, check, or a credit or debit card) in combination with the Visa Buxx card. It’s okay for the card to fully deplete funds. If this happens, simply follow the appropriate steps to replenish the card.
What if a merchant puts an item through without prior authorization?
- Occasionally, a merchant does put an item through without prior authorization. If the purchase exceeds the available balance, the cardholder’s account will have a negative balance. In these rare circumstances where an overdraft occurs, you would be notified to load more funds onto the card.
How do teens keep track of their balance?
- We recommend that teens use the transaction register (similar to a check register) to record all of their purchases and deposits. This makes it easy to keep track of their current balance, and is great practice for having a future checking account. By regularly tracking their activity, your teen will always know how much they are spending, where they have spent it, and how much is on the card. This helps them to understand budgeting and the value of money, and it makes shopping with Visa Buxx easy.
How do parents and teens find out the card balance?
- You and your teen can check the card balance by logging onto the financial institution’s Visa Buxx website, or by calling the 800 number on the back of the card.
Do merchants ever tie up more funds than the intended purchase price?
- It is important to know that some merchants such as restaurants and gas stations reserve more money than your teen may actually plan to spend. They do this to cover variable costs, such as tips or a tank of gas. Within three days, the reserve is cancelled and the funds become available again on the Visa Buxx card.
What if the Visa Buxx card is lost or stolen?
- In the case of a stolen Visa Buxx card, either you or your teen should call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately. Remember to always keep your card number in a safe place—you’ll need it for a replacement card. Your replacement card will arrive in seven to ten business days.
Is identification required to use the card?
- As a security measure to protect the teen, a merchant might ask to see a teen’s ID, which could be a school ID or a driver’s license. If the teen doesn’t carry ID, the merchant can match the signature on the back of the card to the teen’s signature on the receipt.
Can teens use the Visa Buxx card at an ATM?
- If the financial institution offers it, and you request a PIN (personal identification number) for your teen at the time of application, the teen can use the Visa Buxx card to withdraw cash from Visa ATMs worldwide. Check with your financial institution to see if there is a fee for this service.
Can the Visa Buxx card ever be suspended?
- Either you or your teen can suspend the account at any time, for any reason. The Visa Buxx card cannot be used again until it is reactivated by the parent. To reactivate the card, simply call your financial institution.
How can parents and teens ensure that their account information is secure?
- All information given to your Visa Buxx financial institution is secure and strictly confidential. To access the cardholder’s account via the Web, the cardholder’s username and password are required. Once the user is logged in, extra security measures make private information unreadable as it passes over the Internet.
Will the card impact the teen’s credit rating, if misused?
- Since the Visa Buxx card does not offer a line of credit, it will not impact the teen’s credit rating. However, if the card is being misused, you can suspend the account at any time.
How do I get a Visa Buxx card?
- You can sign up online immediately – get started now.
Can a Visa Buxx card be added to a Visa account that’s already open?
- Since Visa Buxx is a prepaid card and not a credit card, it cannot be added to an existing Visa account. In fact, parents don’t even need to be a Visa cardholder in order to get a Visa Buxx card. You don’t have to qualify for a credit card to get your teen a Visa Buxx card.
Can more than one teen be on the same Visa Buxx account?
- Each teen in the family is required to have a separate card with their own unique card number. The Visa Buxx enrollment process makes it easy for you to sign up more than one teen at the same time.
How can parents contact Visa with additional questions about Visa Buxx?
- You can reach us toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-866-354-9302, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be happy to answer your questions.