the point of sale.
Visa Acceptance for Retailers
Customers have come to expect choice at the point of sale, whether they’re paying in a store, online or over the phone. Retailers can offer more options when they accept Visa, and they’ll also have confidence that those transactions are secure and protected, no matter which method the customer uses.
Smarter shopping starts with Visa
Visa is actively working to improve your experience as a Visa-accepting merchant and increase efficiency. Visa transactions can increase speed at checkout, particularly in traditionally cash-heavy segments. For example, the Visa Easy Payment Service accelerates this process by not requiring a cardholder signature for certain smaller purchases.
Potential for increased sales
The average spend per Visa purchase is consistently more than cash. While the average U.S. cash transaction is $17, U.S. credit card purchases average $66 and U.S. debit card purchases average $42.¹ And that can help make a real difference to your bottom line.
- Reach more prospective customers – Consumers carry 2 billion Visa cards worldwide.² The best way to reach them? Start accepting Visa at your business!
- Improve the customer experience – Using Visa makes your customers’ lives easier, and for today’s younger generations, in particular, being able to pay the way they want is critical.
Security and reliability
In retail, it’s critical to keep things moving at the point of purchase. With Visa, you can scale your business to conduct speedy transactions in person or online, knowing the world’s largest retail electronic payments processing network is behind you. VisaNet handles an average of 150 million transactions every day and is capable of handling more than 24,000 transactions per second.³
- Visa has invested heavily in advanced fraud-fighting technologies, so you can assure your customers that their card information is safe.
- Visa’s efforts have kept global fraud rates near historic lows, enabling merchants to accept Visa with confidence.
- Visa is the most-accepted card brand for online and mobile sales in the U.S. and Canada,⁴ and we continue to set industry standards in providing secure online payment solutions. Read our online transaction safety tips >
Invested in the future of retail
Our ongoing commitment to safe, reliable transactions is just one way Visa supports our retail merchants’ goals to attract new customers and grow their businesses. Visa also innovates around new products and technologies to broaden available payment options. These include initiatives around mobile payments like V.me by Visa, our digital payment service; Visa payWave for even faster checkout via mobile phone; and chip cards for extra security and international acceptance.
1 Visa Payment Panel Study (2Q11 to 1Q12). The Visa Payment Panel is a self-reported study where participants are asked to track the details behind each of their individual transactions over the course of a month.
2 Visa Inc. data, as of 31 March 2011
3 Based on testing conducted in August 2010 with IBM
4 2012 Visa Small Business Cash Management Survey