Visa believes it is essential to understand and reduce our environmental impact. To help us do so, over the last few years we have focused on evaluating the environmental impact of our business around the world, including our operations, products, services, and network.
While our comprehensive environmental efforts have continued to evolve since the launch of our formal Corporate Responsibility program in 2008, Visa has been implementing efficiency and conservation initiatives for many years.
In many of our locations, we have environmental initiatives in place to reduce the impact of our operations. A few of these efforts include:
- Energy reduction through efficient lighting and controls, HVAC upgrades and data center infrastructure initiatives
- Waste reduction through a robust waste diversion program of composting and recycling, as well as the procurement of environmentally preferable office supplies, including printer paper with 30 percent post-consumer recycled content and paper towels with recycled content
- Water reduction through low flow water fixtures and responsible landscaping
- Transportation impact reduction through employee shuttles, public transit subsidies and the encouragement of virtual meetings
Through these efforts, we have enhanced building and workplace operations to ensure energy and water efficiency; promoted staff awareness and education to encourage environmentally sustainable practices at work and at home; and encouraged our vendors to demonstrate a commitment to environmental sustainability.
- Our largest global location in California has reduced electricity consumption by 21 percent and natural gas consumption by 30 percent in the period from 2004-2009 while maintaining constant occupancy levels and square footage
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has awarded the Energy Star designation to four of our buildings at our major California location as well as our office building in Colorado
- Our newest office building on the East Coast earned Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification for new construction
- Visa's newest data center has earned LEED Silver certification for new construction
- The EPA and the U.S. Department of Transportation have recognized our best-in-class employee commuter-assistance program
- In January 2012, four Visa office buildings in the Bay Area received LEED Existing Building Operations & Maintenance (EBOM) Gold certification