Visa's Global Volunteer Month: One Day. One Month. One Visa.
Each November, Visa employees around the world give time and talent to support nonprofit organizations, schools and other community groups in the neighborhoods where we live and work. This is the capstone of the Visa Volunteers program and is celebrated at Visa offices around the world.
In 2013, Visa celebrated the difference that our nearly 9,500 employees around the world made through volunteer service. Across 36 offices, 22 countries and 108 volunteer events, Visa employees united to give back to their local communities. Visa Volunteers from Australia to Singapore, Morocco to Kenya, and Brazil to Mexico joined Visa-sponsored volunteer events, organized their own community activities or volunteered individually. Teams of volunteers served meals, worked with local youth, taught financial literacy courses and organized toy drives to provide for underprivileged children.
Here are just a few of the activities Visa Volunteers performed:
- Australia and New Zealand:Volunteers planned a movie screening for the patients of the Starlight and Starship Foundation.
- Foster City, CA, USA:Volunteers taught financial literacy, served meals, beautified local parks, provided pro bono legal assistance, and much more.
- Hong Kong:Volunteers hosted a holiday party for a senior center and packed food for a community kitchen run by Food Angel.
- Mexico City, Mexico:Volunteers participated in a panel discussion for teachers about leadership at the Fundación El Peñón School and spent the afternoon painting the school.
- Nairobi, Kenya:For the second consecutive year, volunteers planted trees with the Green Belt Movement.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil:Volunteers played bingo with the elderly at a senior center and brought toys to the children of a local orphanage.
- Singapore:Volunteers taught a two-day Math Bazaar and spent two days teaching financial literacy to students at Assumption Pathway School.
- Toronto, Canada:Volunteers sorted and packaged food at Daily Bread Food Bank.
Visa Volunteer Initiative
The Visa Volunteer initiative has been a core component of our Corporate Responsibility program since its launch in 2008. At Visa, we believe in the importance of supporting the local communities and neighborhoods in which we live and work. Our Visa Volunteers program helps employees around the world find local opportunities, create team events and track their volunteer hours. We also honor our leading employee volunteers with the Visa Volunteer Award, recognizing their personal contributions to their communities.