Visa USA recognizes the value of diverse suppliers and ensures that working with diverse suppliers is an integral part of our strategic sourcing and procurement processes. Visa is committed to promoting relationships with minority owned, woman owned, disabled veteran-owned, disabled-owned, lesbian-, gay-, bisexual-, and transgender (LGBT) owned, small business enterprise, or enterprise located in historically underutilized business zone (HUBZone) suppliers (collectively called “diverse suppliers”). Visa continually seeks the best service, quality, and value-at the best cost-by building mutually beneficial relationships with a broad and diverse supplier base.
We believe that supplier diversity provides us with a significant position of strength from which to support our clients and perform in the markets we serve. Our Supplier Diversity Program is founded on three basic operating principles:
- Promoting business opportunities for diverse businesses and ensuring that they have fair access to bid and contract opportunities.
- Growing the amount of quality products and services we procure directly from diverse suppliers, or indirectly through companies who share our commitment to diversity.
- Communicating the value of supplier diversity, both internally and externally.
How to register
Visa is committed to working with qualified suppliers who fully meet the criteria established in our Supplier Diversity Program. We welcome all potential suppliers who can add value to our products and fulfill our requirements on a competitive basis. However, we cannot promise to transact business with all suppliers who contact us. If you are interested in registering as a diverse supplier, please confirm that your company meets the qualifying requirements below before submitting an email to GlobalSourcing@Visa.com with your company's information. Requirements include qualifying and certifying as a diverse supplier, offering goods and services purchased by Visa, and being prepared to qualify as a Visa supplier.
- Does your company qualify as a diverse supplier?
To qualify, an independent, third-party agency must certify that your business is at least 51% owned by a minority individual or group, that individual or one or more of the group must be US citizens or legal permanent resident, the business must be headquartered in the US, the business is formed as legal entity in the US and that the management and daily business operations are controlled by one or more of those individuals. These requirements include:
- A minority-owned business must be at least 51 percent owned, operated, and controlled by an African-American, Hispanic-American, Native American, Asian- Pacific American or Asian-Indian American.
- A woman-owned business must be at least 51 percent owned, operated, and controlled by one or more women
- A disabled veteran-owned business must be at least 51 percent owned and actively managed by a disabled military veteran what was honorably discharged from the US armed forces.
- A disabled-owned business whose owners are disabled under the definitions of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act. This includes non-profit agencies or programs that promote the interests of the disabled or agencies that have a work force of 51 percent or more disabled workers.
- A lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT)-owned business is must be majority (at least 51%) owned, operated, managed, and controlled by an LGBT person or persons who exercise independence from any non-LGBT business enterprise.
- A small business is a firm, including its affiliates, that is independently owned and operated, and that qualifies as a small business under the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
- A business located in a historically underutilized business zone (HUBZone) which is owned and controlled by a U.S. citizen with a principal office located in a HUBZone.
- 35% of its employees must also reside in a HUBZone.
- Existing businesses may choose to move to a qualified area to become eligible.
- Is your company a certified diverse supplier?
Certification is an essential component of Visa’s Supplier Diversity effort. “Certification” means that an independent, third-party agency has reviewed the ownership and management status of your business and verified that it is a minority owned, woman owned, disabled veteran-owned, disabled-owned, lesbian-, gay-, bisexual-, and transgender (LGBT) owned, small business enterprise, or enterprise located in historically underutilized business zone (HUBZone) business.
The certification process typically involves completing an application, providing written documentation, and may include allowing the certifying agency to conduct a site visit. If your business qualifies, the agency will issue you a printed certificate to verify your status. These certificates usually must be renewed annually.
For more information on certification, please contact one of the following organizations, which may be able to assist with the certification process:
National Minority Supplier Development Council
Center for Women's Business Research
National Women Business Owners Corporation
Women's Business Enterprise National Council
Association for Service Disabled Veterans
National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
Small Business Administration (SBA)
Disabled Veterans Department Governmental Services (CA Only)
- Does your company offer products and services within the commodities purchased by Visa?
Products and/or services for which Visa purchases or contracts:
- Consulting and business services
- Marketing and creative services
Is your company ready to qualify as a supplier?
Visa will analyze a number of issues as part of our procurement and vendor qualification process. Following are some of the items we will review:
Type of work
Is the work and project size reasonable for a company of your size and track record to pursue?
Is your coverage in line with large company expectations? Do you have the appropriate insurance certificates?
Service level agreement
Can you meet the deadlines and highest service levels that are standard for your industry?
Type of company
Is your company privately held? Do you have complete financial statements?
Form of contract
Visa typically utilizes our own contracts. Are you prepared to review and utilize these standard agreements?
Are you currently conducting full background checks on all employees and contractors? Can you do so, if required?
Do you fully understand the pricing of all components of the goods and services you are selling? Can you be profitable with competitive adjustments to your current pricing models?
- Type of work
It is critical that diverse suppliers and other small businesses address these and similar issues
in advance, so that they do not become obstacles during the limited timeframe of an RFP or an auction deadline.
Visa recognizes that an effective Supplier Diversity Program is an essential part of our company’s success. The Second-Tier Initiative aims at enhancing Visa’s efforts to increase meaningful opportunities for diverse suppliers. We strongly encourage our major suppliers to participate in our Supplier Diversity Program by establishing relationships with, and committing a percentage of expenditures to, diverse suppliers. Participation in the Initiative demonstrates added value on the part of our majority suppliers.
- What are the benefits of participation?
For all competitive bids in excess of $100,000, applicants will be requested to supply information and data regarding diverse supplier policy, strategy, and goals. Submission of information will be an element in the supplier selection process.
- Supplying information
Suppliers participating in the Initiative will be requested to periodically supply information and data on their specific use of diverse suppliers.
- Reporting methodology
If you are a current Visa supplier, you can report your second-tier spending in support of Visa with our Second-Tier Reporting Form.
To obtain further information on how to participate in the second-tier program, please email GlobalSourcing@visa.com.
To learn more about the Visa Supplier Diversity Program, please contact us.